I’ve been working on my tan. :)
Summer is definitely here – Tineey and I made our way to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn to relax, read some good literature, and soak up some sun.
Commuting from Jersey, I take the Path train into the World Trade Center station, where construction is STILL happening. I often forget to look up when I’m walking around NYC – I seem to have adapted to my surroundings when you compare me to when I first moved up here. I held up sidewalk traffic, staring up at the ridiculous skyscrapers that I had never seen before.
The clouds today looked like plump white cotton balls.
A short train ride away and I smell the sea air, mingled with freshly baked pastries being sold straight out of restaurants right outside the subway station.
So what do you bring to the beach? I thought I’d share some of my summer beach essentials with you guys. I grew up in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area (Tidewater) in Virginia (duh), so I was usually ALWAYS around 15-20 minutes away from the beach. My family had beach equipment loaded up in the garage – umbrellas, chairs, sand buckets and tubes a plenty. We were planning on relaxing, not boogie-boarding, so packing light with some key essentials was the way to go.
Here’s what I packed.
1. PROTECTION & MOISTURIZER. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration SPF 50. I went with the 50 because I did NOT want to burn. We were outside in the peak hours (2-4). Love this stuff because it protects AND moisturizes. My skin feels so toasty when I’m out in the sun for a while, and peeling is NOT attractive. This stuff takes care of both issues. My skin still feels soft and smells amazing. I smell like a beach bunny. :)
A few other things to note:
- New Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration™ lotion sunscreen is the only sun protection with extra luxurious hydrating ribbons to pamper your skin with 12 hour moisturization.
- With hydrating ribbons infused with luxurious silk protein and rich shea butter, Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration™ sunscreen pampers and protects skin.
- Available in SPF 12, 30 and 50, Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration™ lotion sunscreen provides safe and effective broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection that won’t break down in the sun, along with nourishing antioxidants, exotic island botanicals, a warm tropical fragrance and a lightweight, non-greasy feel.
2. SNACKS. Crunchies Freeze Dried Mangos – Healthy, not messy and organic. It’s always best to keep light snacks on you so you don’t binge while you’re at the beach. Binging + beaching = Buddah-bump.
3. TIME-KILLERS. O.P.I. Nailpolish, Book – I love painting my nails when tanning – it keeps you occupied and your nails always dry faster. Some good reading is always necessary.
4. BAG & TOWEL. This Victoria’s Secret beach towel is humongous. Literally could sleep three people. I could tan diagonally without having to move my towel. The beach bag is also Victoria’s Secret and it’s light just like I like it and the bright stripes are adorable. It’s really sturdy, surprisingly – the towel is so heavy; I didn’t expect the bag to hold up. But that’s what beach bags are for, right? To hold all the ridiculous amounts of snacks, water, electronics and sunscreen, and NOT get wet or break? Job well done. I also brought my bikini bag – it waterproof lining work for both wet bikinis AND dry electronics.
This Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration lotion bubble looks like a creamsicle. You can see the moisturizing lotion when you squeeze the sunscreen out of the bottle.
You do NOT want to go out in the sun without sunscreen. I am gradually building my tan so I don’t shock my skin. If you keep treating your skin like it’s rubber, it will TURN INTO rubber. I’m already getting forehead wrinkles, and I make sure that every single time I go out in the sun, I’m protecting my most vulnerable places. Hence, the legs. The sunscreen lotion keeps me protected AND moisturized without having to use separate products.
Thumbs up. Ready to go make a fool of myself on the beach now.
I’m wearing the Superdry bikini I picked up in their new Times Square store with a thrifted sheer cover-up. It has a nautical feel to it, with rope detailing around the neck string as well as hints of red here and there. Love the tiny accents they place in their pieces.
This summer I will be trying my absolute best to not let time just slip away. Sitting and relaxing in the sun on the beach is probably one of my favorite things to do. I’ve been a night owl for so long, I start to miss the daylight – especially when it’s this beautiful out. Excuse all the photos of the clouds. I’ve been trying to take the time out to look up at the sky at least once during my day. I feel like a kid (or a tourist) when I’m standing there staring up at the clouds, but they make for such beautiful photographs. Can’t help myself. :)
Hope you guys enjoyed this post – enjoy the beginning to an amazing summer, and don’t forget to protect your skin!
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hawaiian Tropic® Sun Care via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hawaiian Tropic.
Hawaiian Tropic is a trademark of Tanning Research Laboratories, LLC.